Finding your wedding band can be a daunting task. Over the past 5 years of working in the wedding industry as wedding musician and wedding DJ I have noticed that many clients do not really know what finding a wedding band entails and why wedding music is indeed a very important factor.
Often other suppliers get chosen early such as celebrants, venues, photographers, florists, car services and music is left to the last minute. There are many great wedding bands out there and knowing how to look for that musician that is perfect for your wedding can be a big relief. So hopefully these 7 Must know – tips for finding the right wedding band will provide some guidance for you.
- Do some research: Try to find out what is really important to you and what you would like for your wedding by talking to friends and by doing research on the internet. Find out as much as you can about prices, music styles etc. There are great wedding advisor groups and chats on Facebook or other platforms available.
- Style of Music: This is a very important factor in deciding which wedding band to hire and often underestimated. Sit down with your partner to find out what style of music you really want to be played at your big day, are you more into classical or contemporary, into rock or soul, into blues or country….? Do love acoustic music or a full piece band? Which instruments do you really love? What about the voice, do you prefer female or male singer or both? Which songs do you really need to have at your wedding? Once you have answered all these questions get out there to find the band that can do all of the above in the way you want it! A professional musician will of course be able to learn any song you request.
- Get their expert advice: There are many people out there that really want live music but don’t really know the when, what and how. That is totally fine, don’t freak out if you do not know exactly what you want. An experienced wedding musician will be able to guide you through the process of finding the music that is just right for you.
- Meet and greet before booking: On your wedding you will have thousands of things going on and you will need to be able to fully rely on all of your vendors. Meet with the musician to get the full experience of their personality, style and professionalism. In the end, they will be present when you and the love of your life will say ‘yes, I do’. If no personal meeting is possible, have a phone conversation at least.
- Listen and watch: Recordings are great to find out if you like their style. However, anyone can sound amazing on a studio recording. So, listen to live recordings, watch videos of live performances or check them out at their next live performance if possible. This gives you a better idea of how they will really sound.
- Check References: Make sure you get some real reviews from clients, these are hard to fake and will give you a better idea of who are dealing with.
- Ask questions: There are no stupid questions! Ask as many as you can. Try to find out as much as you can before you meet or call the musician so you can be specific. Ask about their experience, how many weddings have they done, how many years of music they have played (wedding experience is great but in the end they need to be experienced as musicians in general), ask about the legality of your agreement (do they have a contract?). What if you cancel? What if they cancel? Are there any hidden costs? Do they have another booking on your day or will they be able to fully concentrate on you? What is the price? How much is the deposit? What exactly is included in the cost? Do they carry liability insurance?
If chosen wisely, you will absolutely love your wedding band and will say afterwards ‘I could not have chosen better!’